Christ Episcopal Church Charitable Foundation awarded five scholarships and four educational grants to local students in a ceremony at Christ Church Ponte Vedra Beach on May 8, 2018. Welcoming the students was Associate Rector the Rev. Remington Slone, Foundation President Melissa Roland, Scholarship Committee Chair Tem Fitch and the Rev. Thomas P. Reeder, Rector of Christ Church. The incoming group of scholars also heard from Angela Meuse, who shared her experience as a scholarship recipient in 1994, the first year of this program.
UPDATE: One of our talented scholars was awarded the Machen Florida Opportunity Scholarship, thus returning the CEC Foundation Scholarship to be awarded to a deserving student in the class of 2019.
Congratulations to these 2018 recipients and their families:
(Four-year Florida Pre-Paid University Plan Scholarships to be used at any Florida public university)
- Angela Ayoub (Nease HS) will attend the University of Central Florida, pursuing a degree in biological health sciences and a career in physical therapy.
- Samantha Castano (Nease HS) will attend the University of Florida, entering as a junior majoring in psychology, and pursue a career as an anesthesiologist.
- Stella Hymeri (Ponte Vedra HS) will attend Santa Fe College as a sophomore and transfer to Florida in her junior year to pursue a degree in biomedical engineering.
- Kiah Kramer (Ponte Vedra HS) will attend the Innovation Academy at the University of Florida and pursue a degree in chemistry with a minor in innovation.
- Luciana Nunez (Ponte Vedra HS) will attend the University of Florida, majoring in psychology and special education.
(Various award amounts to be used at any college or university)
- Dylan Casto (Jacksonville University) is a junior pursuing a Bachelor of Science in nursing and an an MBA.
- Jessica Conover (Fletcher HS) will attend the University of Florida and pursue a career in physical therapy.
- Allison Hamm (University of North Florida) is a junior majoring in communications and minoring in business.
- Katie Young (University of North Florida) is a junior pursuing a degree in psychology.
Since 1994, The Christ Episcopal Church Charitable Foundation has helped 107 young people with their college expenses by awarding 66 four-year and one single year tuition-only scholarships, eight partial tuition-only scholarships, and 40 educational grants to beaches area students in need of financial assistance with their college education.
The Foundation hosts fundraisers throughout the year to fund these scholarships, grants and other outreach projects: A Christmas house tour in December, golf & tennis tournaments held in March at the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club, and the Shared Treasures estate sale.
We are especially grateful to Loti Woods (who established a scholarship in memory of her late husband, John Woods, a major advocate of education), Susie Buckey (who established a scholarship in memory of her mother, Jane P. Gurney) and the Parker/Woodruff Scholarship. These gifts make it possible to offer more students the chance to pursue their dream of attending college.